Monday, May 15, 2006

Microsoft killed the video star


One of my favorite movies is Pirates of Silicon Valley. I am more of a Microsoft fan than an Apple guy. But Microsoft really represents the stuffy-suit business world while Apple has been an icon for creativity and youthfulness. So if you told me when I was fourteen that MTV and Microsoft would join forces one day I would have "laughed out loud" old school (we hadn't figured out "lol" back then).

Anyway, the news is that Wednesday Microsoft and MTV will join forces to lauch Urge, a service to compete with iTunes. So cool (MTV) meets geek (b. gates) to take on Apple's juggernaut music monarchy, iTunes, with it's iPod family and entire iLifestyle.

However, when I refer to MTV being cool, that is MTV of the 1980's, the one that actually showed music videos. Today MTV is the home of loser programming. So now you actually have MTV and Microsoft combining to enter the music industry and neither company is really in touch with "the kids these days".

Oh this could be funny to watch. Now with my luck Urge's success will make me eat my words but if Microsoft and MTV can pull this off then perhaps father does know best.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Chad Doerr said...

Thanks for the news. I had no idea.

Is your blog set up for RSS?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home